The construction of the Torre dei Guardiani dates from the 19th century, or to be precise, 1899. The structure originally served as a lodging for mounted guards employed in the control of the rustling of livestock in the area and the security of agricultural products in storage. Their presence was increased during the construction of the Apulian Aqueduct. Until the 1950s the building was used by farm security guards who would patrol the countryside in groups of four to six men. The turrets, sited at the north-east and south-west corners of the construction bear witness to the dangerous and often violent past of the Murgian territories.